of Chernyakhovsk (former Insterburg), outside the Castle. It wasfounded in 1336 on the orders of the master of the German order of St. Mary of the Teutonic order Dietrich von Altenburg on the site of ancient settlement of Ansitropic, destroyed in 1256 during the military campaigns of the Order of Nadrovia.
The place to build a castle in the military sense was chosen very cleverly, taking into account terrain conditions and strategic considerations – on the hill near the river Angerapp, where his position allowed to control the crossroads at the confluence of Angerapp, Pissa and inster flow together (from which the castle got its name). First, there was built an oak blockhouse and surrounded it with a ditch and rampart, the tree is then gradually replaced by stone. Orders in the period, judging by the extant information, the castle was rebuilt several times.